"5 YEARS LATER... IM BACK LIKE I NEVER LEFT"
ONEFOUR rapper Celly (aka Dahcell Ramos) has been released from prison after serving a five-year sentence for an armed robbery committed in Penrith in September 2018.
News of the Mount Druitt rapper's release made the round on social media on June 7, with ONEFOUR sharing a video of the group's reunion with Ramos.
"5 YEARS LATER.. N IM BACK LIKE I NEVER LEFT," the accompanying video caption read.
Back in 2019, Celly, alongside two other members from the drill group, Pio Misa (aka YP) and Salec 'Lekks' Sua, were slapped with several charges including reckless grievous bodily harm after they got into a violent altercation with three men - Anthony Hayward, Tony Taylor and Shayne Turner - at around 1am on 21 July, 2018 at Rooty Hill's Carousel Inn in Sydney.
The wild attack, which was caught on CCTV, left one victim lying unconscious in a pool of blood.
A court previously heard the incident was sparked by an argument between two groups, including “racial comments, perhaps extending to slurs”.
Plug into the latest music with our FREE weekly newsletter
“Misa pulled out a timber chair leg from inside his clothes,” District Court Judge James Bennett said at the time.
“He held the timber leg by his side for a short time before hitting Hayward in the back of the head with it twice. Hayward immediately backed away. Misa then followed him into the middle of the brawl and he hit him for a third time with the timber chair leg.”
The court also heard that Celly assaulted Taylor "a number of times" in the head with a hammer.
Bennett said that “[Sua] was the instigator and was strenuously involved but was held back fortunately - for his sake - by the security guards".
The three members of the Western Sydney rap group were all handed jail sentences for their part in the brawl.
Both YP and Lekks were sentenced to four and four and a half years respectively and have since been released, however, in January it was reported that Lekks had been deported to New Zealand by Australian Border Force.
Meanwhile, Celly was sentenced to a maximum of 10 years prison with a 6-year non-parole period for his use of a hammer in the attack, though he later successfully appealed his sentence, with his lawyers arguing that the sentence was excessive compared to others handed out to co-offenders.
His non-parole period was then reduced to four years and nine months with a maximum jail term of eight years.
After the appeal, ONEFOUR released a statement at the time on behalf of Celly via Instagram which read: “Just wanna give a big thanks to the heavenly father, family, friends, the people at AC Lawyers for making this outcome happen, and everyone that was behind me. I’m thankful and glad to say that my appeal was won and my sentence was reduced.”
The wild incident came not long after the drill rap pioneers revealed they had been forced to cancel their Australian tour, with the group claiming that venues had called off gigs following pressure from NSW Police.
In their statement to Instagram and Facebook, the group wrote: “Making and performing music is not a crime.”
“Our fans have never caused any issue at our concerts. So why can’t you see us perform?,” they continued. “And when they tell you you’ve got to make a better future for yourself why do they want to trap you in your past?”
They continued, “We’ll keep it moving forward. Much love to all the people who have stood up and shouted out their support.”